Some pet owners love their pets like children, and if you’re one of them, you’ll be understandably concerned about choosing a Pittsburgh home for sale that your pet would be comfortable in. However, there are definite ways to make sure you get just that; here are just a few of them:
1. The features of the home are particularly important. Before shopping for a pet-friendly house, make a list of things your pet likes. Also, make a list of things your pet might destroy. For instance, many cat owners find their pets ripping up the carpet. A home with wood floors might be ideal. If you have a dog, it’s probably important to have a fenced yard. Many things are easy to overlook, but you’ll be sure to consider them if you make a list first.
2. The home’s layout might be challenging for your pet. If you have an older pet, who has a hard time climbing stairs, a Pittsburgh home for sale with one story would be better than a two-story home. Low windows or window ledges are perfect for cats, and an out of sight place to store a litter box would be a bonus. In addition, remember your pet’s size. The larger the animal, the more yard or bigger space you might need.
3. The Home Owner Association (HOA) may not allow pets, and those that do allow pets usually have pet restrictions. Before deciding on a home, make sure that the HOA allows your particular type of pet. Don’t take it for granted! You may end up with severe penalties.
4. County and City code restrictions may also be an issue. Several cities also have restrictions on the number of pets, the species, and the type. The pit bull ban is a very good example.
5. A pet-friendly neighborhood is the best place for you and your pet. Look around the neighborhood and see if the neighbors are walking their dogs or have cats sleeping in windows. Consider if the way they seem to take care of their pets is similar to yours. You might want to find another Pittsburgh home for sale if it isn’t.
You may not have thought about introducing your pet to your new home. Creating a plan to acclimate your pet will help relieve stress. You can find some great tips in this article.