We are starting to see spring weather turn into summer and we are happy to be spending time outside of our Pittsburgh homes. Time outdoors isn’t always about soaking up the sun, it may mean getting some work done on the outside of your home. When you own a home, there is always a lot of work to do. Our yards take up a lot of our time during the summer. Here are some tips for you to help you create a desirable landscape in your yard this year.
1. Mow your lawn on the diagonal. This will give you a professional look. Don’t mow your grass too short to prevent burning in the heat of the summer.
2. Trim and edge regularly. Take a few extra moments to edge and trim the grass to give your lawn a finished look.
3. Check plants and trees. Walk around your yard periodically and look for dead plants, branches, and fungus. Prune or treat as needed.
4. Shape up shrubs throughout the summer. Trim bushes and shrubs as needed.
5. Add color to your yard. Plant perennials and annuals to brighten up your landscaping and make your home more inviting.
6. Thin perennial beds. Perennials can overgrow quickly. Remove any dead plants and separate any overgrown plants annually.
7. Water your plants correctly. Water plants less often providing enough water to soak in deeply. It is best to water in the early morning or evening hours to prevent the sun from evaporating the moisture.
8. Maintain a healthy lawn. Have your lawn aerated, fertilized, and weeded to achieve a lush lawn.
9. Clean up water features. Remove algae, leaves and replace or clean filters throughout the summer months.
10. Enjoy your yard. Don’t forget to take some time to sit back and relax enjoying all your hard work.
Maintaining a nice lawn increases the curb appeal of your home. Curb appeal is important because it creates the first impression of your home. If you are selling your home, the first impression as the buyer drives up to your home is very important. According to HGTV, a well-landscaped home can add up to 10% value.
We are in and out of many homes every day. If you have any questions on the best things to do in your yard, give us a call. Although we are not landscape experts, we know what our buyers find appealing and see a lot of great ideas in our daily tours of homes.
If you think you may be selling your home soon, we would be happy to sit down with you to create a plan to prepare your home inside and out. Homes are selling quickly. However, it is still important to prepare your home for sale properly before the first buyer walks through. We can help you maximize your efforts to achieve profitable results.