It is time to talk tips to spring clean your Pittsburgh home. I know we have been stuck inside our homes for many months, but my guess is we all could still use a good spring cleaning. Looking forward to warmer weather brings about thoughts of spring-cleaning. This is an excellent time of year to focus on your home areas that you do not tend to regularly.
Taking care of minor maintenance items before they become a big problem just makes sense. When you let things go for too long, it seems like it is harder and harder to get those things done. Spend a weekend or two sprucing up your home for the warmer summer months. You will be happy once the hard work is complete.
Spring-cleaning usually starts inside the home. Take advantage of the cooler weather now when you don’t want to be outside for too long. It is not hard to think of what needs to be cleaned as you go from room to room.
Here are some suggestions you may not have considered:
• Vacuum and turn your mattress to help extend its life.
• Clean your dryer vents to the outdoors.
• Clean the inside of your washing machine.
• Change the filter on your kitchen vent hood.
• Move furniture away from walls – dust the walls and clean underneath.
Some spring-cleaning chores affect the inside and outside your home, and you should not overlook them.
• Clean windows inside and out and wipe down window sills.
• Check for door and window leaks and adequately seal.
• Touch up paint on trim, doors, and shutters.
• Clean light fixture shades and globes.
• Clean indoor and outdoor ceiling fans.
Finally, as the weather warms, you will be ready to tackle those outdoor chores to prepare your outdoor living spaces for summer fun and entertaining.
The winter weather in Pittsburgh does take a toll on our outdoor spaces.
• Power wash decks or patios.
• Trim trees and shrubbery.
• Inspect your roof shingles.
• Hire a chimney sweep to clean your chimney.
• Clean and disinfect your outdoor trash can.
Putting together a checklist of the items you would like to tackle during your spring-cleaning ritual will provide you with a reminder and satisfaction of crossing them off when complete. You may need to hire some professionals to help you tackle some of the items on your to-do list.
Regular maintenance of your home is one of the best ways to maintain value. When our sellers make improvements before putting their home on the market, they often comment that they wish they had done them sooner, so they could have enjoyed them too. Don’t put off your routine maintenance. Oprah Winfrey said, “Even the smallest steps move your forward.”
The Judi SAYHAY Team is always ready to help you with your real estate needs. If you need a service provider to help you, we may be able to provide you with some resources.
Contact us at 412-303-3600 or SAYHAYTeam@gmail.com.