Gibsonia Real Estate
Gibsonia PA is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Richland Township of Allegheny County in the Pennsylvania and is north of the City of Pittsburgh. The population was only 2,733 at the 2010 Census. Its ZIP code is 15044.
Gibsonia was named in honor of the Gibson Family who settled the area and their original home is still standing. The early history of Gibsonia is interwoven with the history of the Gibson family. Around the time of the Civil War, Charles Gibson, Jr., built the first steam flour mill west of the Alleghenies on Grubbs Road. His granddaughter, Nancy Gibson James remembers her uncle telling her about farmers riding to the mill with sacks of grain across the saddles to make a living. The Gibson family homestead was built by her grandfather, Charles Gibson, Jr., in 1839. Just below the home, near the railroad crossing, still remains the foundation of Charles Gibson’s general store. This building, destroyed by fire in 1908, besides housing the store was also the first post office for Gibsonia. For about ten years before it burned it was in use as a mission of the Christian & Missionary Alliance Church.
The village was linked to Pittsburgh and Butler by the Pittsburgh and Butler Street Railway in 1907 but was closed in 1931 because this service was replaced by buses that traveled along Route 8.
The area around Gibsonia is mainly located in the Pine-Richland School District, as well as the parts of Hampton Township School District, North Allegheny School District, Deer Lakes School District, and a very small portion of the Mars Area School District.
One of the newest sites for Gibsonia is Chatham University’s Eden Hall campus, located off Ridge Road which is currently being used for various environmental studies, and as a community college for Gibsonia. In addition, the Treesdale Golf Community is centrally located in Gibsonia PA.